Delay (doubled) in-play for very small bets

For software support - get help from Cymatic and the community

Delay (doubled) in-play for very small bets

Postby playpower » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:15 pm

Hello, this is my first post. I've been using Cymatic a lot and I like it.

But in the second half of the matches my bets keep freezzing after the delay countdown.
I place the bet, the cell turns yellow and the countdown starts. But when the countdown ends the cell stays yellow for a while and the bet is not placed immediately.
This does not happen during the first halves. So can it be the market refresh rate that is too high (Im using the default)? Can it be my RAM memory (4GB) ? Perhaps the cache memory of the program that gets full as the match gets near the end? Any clues?
Thanks for the help And for this program!

Here is how my api monitor looked like in the end of Cambridge-MUnited:

playpower

Re: Delay

Postby Gavin » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:25 pm

Hi playpower,

My guess is that some of your in-play orders have been reaching the timeout setting of 10 seconds and this may have caused them fail, or to briefly look like they failed.

The PlaceOrders calls is the API call used to send bets. Your maximum duration for that is just over 10 seconds (10894ms), which is so similar to the 10000 timeout that I think they have hit the timeout. Assuming the in-play delay of the markets you trade is 8 seconds (8000ms), this implies that your orders were delayed by a bottleneck.

Please amend your Exchange Timeout number to 20000 (go to Settings | API Refresh, then you'll find it near the bottom of the page). Originally this number was set to 10000, but I recommend you to change it to 20000 or even 30000. This will ensure that if your orders are a little bit delayed (for example beyond the usual 8 seconds in-play delay for some soccer matches), that they will still proceed normally and not be timeout. Thus, they won't timeout until 20 seconds, at which point you probably really want them to timeout anyway.

Otherwise, your ApiMonitor stats don't look too bad. The main data refresh API call is ListMarketBook, for which you have an average duration of 141ms which is in the normal range. However your maximum duration of that call has occassionally reached 5051ms, during brief moments when there is a bottleneck, but this is not too concerning because it has only been only 750ms (threshold two) on 14 occassions which was on a mere 0,2076% of the calls. I would not be too concerned by those numbers, because the occassional internet or network slow down is inevitable. However you should try using slightly bigger refresh intervals, just to see if those stats can be made even more perfect and bottlenecks reduced even further. By using bigger refresh intervals you are putting less pressure on the internet connection, so when there is a bottleneck you will recover from it more easily by not adding extra pressure to the bottleneck. Reducing bottlenecks in ListMarketBook will help to ensure that your internet route is not congested. When it is congested it will also slow down the placing of bets. However your internet is only very rarely congested so if you can't improve it then don't worry. There is also a maximum concurrency setting (also in the API refresh tab in setting), this is set to 5, so if the calls are slow to return then you won't keep sending more calls once 5 have not yet returned. So another way to reduce pressure on the internet connection is to reduce this number, say from 5 to 3, but usually it is fine to just leave it at 5 and instead concentrate on using a slightly bigger refresh interval in order to avoid the bottleneck in the first place.

Kind regards,

Gavin
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby playpower » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:56 am

Hi Gavin and ty

In that match the Betfair delay was 5000 and my timeout was already 20000. So those values near 10000 that happen when my bets freeze after the countdown are not reaching the timeout. The bets are placed but with lots of delay, beyond the usual.

Today I increased the timeout to 30000 and the refresh intervals to 2000/2000 and 3000/3000 but those unusual delays in orders still happen.

The ListMarketBook average duration remains around 140ms, comparing to 800/1000 refresh intervals.
I noticed that when the PlaceOrders delays happen the real-time ListMarketBook duration is normal.

I also noticed that those delays are always the Betfair delay x2 (5000-10000 or 8000-16000 or 9000-18000).

Later I did some more testing during the 1st half of America-Puebla and I did not confirm my early theory about delays only happening in the 2nd half.
I did several testing bets in different markets and the delays happened only when I LAY these markets: puebla; draw; under 0.5; over 2.5; over3.5; over4.5 .
No delays when I LAY these markets: america; over 0.5; under2.5 3.5 4.5
And no delays when I BACK any of the above.

I repeated the same bets more than one time and inverted the order to check if I was eventually in the middle of a bottlenecking but the results were constant.

Tomorrow I will do this test in another match and try to change the concurrency option too.
playpower

Postby Gavin » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:45 pm

Hi Playpower,

The delay will be double if you are sending a bet below the minimum stake enforced by Betfair (€2 or £2, or other currency's similar equivalent value).

This is because the bet has to first be placed for a stake of 2, then adjusted to the actual smaller size that you really wanted.

Are the bets for less than the minimum stake?

If so, they will succeed, but the yellow countdown will only show the standard delay not the doubled delay. Sorry for that confusion.

Kind regards,

Gavin
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby playpower » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:19 pm

I confirm that hehe.. that's why it used to happen later in the matches when sometimes I was laying at high odds.. and in the small testing bets I did.

I'm glad that Cymatic runs very good in my pc. I also learned a lot with your help in all this tweaking and testing. Ty man
playpower

Postby Gavin » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:25 pm

Ah ok, thanks for confirming.

Kind regards,

Gavin :)
Gavin
Site Admin

Return to General Help / Support