Active True Range Indicator Query

Using technical analysis (Bollinger, trend lines, etc) to trade sport? Discuss it here

Active True Range Indicator Query

Postby Pogba » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:07 pm

Hello,

I'm new to Cymatic Trader and was wondering if anyone could help me with a query regarding the ATR indicator on the advanced charts?

I'm looking at this from financial markets as an indicator of where to potential place a stop loss or trailing stop but just wondered what the decimal value on the y-axis represented and if/how this can be converted into a tick range?

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks
Pogba

Re: Active True Range Indicator Query

Postby Gavin » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:11 am

Hi Pogba,

Thanks for your question. I presume that you meant the Average True Range indicator.

In the Cymatic user manual the ATR is defined as "Measures commitment and compares the range between the High, Low and Close prices."

The user manual links to the following additional information on Wikipedia:

Average_true_range

Perhaps that info will help to answer your question.

If the ATR is a volatility measure which is quoted as a price amount, then you are essentially are just asking how to convert a price amount into a number of ticks. One option would be to make table of tick increments in Excel and a function to calculate the number of ticks required to move from the price of your bet, to a certain price movement where you want your stop loss to be.

Kind regards,

Gavin
Gavin
Site Admin

Return to Technical Analysis