Slow to refresh / Roundtrip time is slow

For software support - get help from Cymatic and the community

Slow to refresh / Roundtrip time is slow

Postby dart666bet » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:39 pm

Hi

Im using cymatic soft for some days, but I appears to be to slow especially in play trade.

I wanted to apply setts gave in manual but i dont know where can i find that.

Im tradng outside UK so i wanted apply those setts given by you.

I've send pic

Pleas help thanks!!

http://scr.hu/1x7r/cvo4r
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dart666bet

Re: To slow refresh

Postby dart666bet » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:30 pm

Abd that is screen from cym during dart trade (in play)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dart666bet

Postby Gavin » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:05 pm

dart666bet wrote:Hi

Im using cymatic soft for some days, but I appears to be to slow especially in play trade.

I wanted to apply setts gave in manual but i dont know where can i find that.

Im tradng outside UK so i wanted apply those setts given by you.

I've send pic

Pleas help thanks!!

Hi,
Yes that is correct. Replace the numbers indicated by your red arrow, with the numbers in the left of your picture of the settings manual.
Prices 400 , 1000 - change to Prices 3000, 3000
Complete Prices 2000, 1400 - change to Prices 4000, 4000
etc

However, please note that there is a delay in-play that is created by Betfair. For example, it is usually 3 seconds in darts, 8 seconds in soccer...

Kind regards,

Gavin
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Gavin » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:18 pm

dart666bet wrote:Abd that is screen from cym during dart trade (in play)

This doesn't look too bad. Darts has a 3 second in-play delay on new orders (enforced by Betfair at the exchange). Your order took 3257ms (just over 3.2 seconds), so it looks normal.

You might benefit from using slower refresh intervals as mentioned in my previous post, but you can probably try numbers like 800 or 1500ms (instead of 3000ms), because your connection and internet route to Betfair is quite good in the picture. However, using less frequent refreshes (like 3000ms) might still be sensible if the connection is not always as good as shown in the picture.

Kind regards,

Gavin
Gavin
Site Admin

Round trip timing is slow

Postby grahamsbiz » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:16 pm

Hello,
Just signed up and learning how to use the software which, I may add, looks great.
I have one possible issue.
At the bottom of the screen I get a message highlighted in yellow (or amber) which says "Round trip timing is slow..........Get Complete Market Prices Compressed".
I began to look at the API tab in Settings but it bears no resemblance to what I see in the user manual. Am I looking in the wrong place or is the difference because of a software upgrade :?:
Please advise
Many thanks
Graham :lol:
grahamsbiz

Re: Round trip timing is slow

Postby Gavin » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:14 pm

Hi Graham,

Thanks for your message.

The "roundtrip time is slow" is just a warning message advising you that the API is slow, which everyone will see occasionally. If you see it frequently then you should defintely follow the instructions in the user manual to choose less frequent refresh intervals and thus take pressure off your internet connection:
http://www.cymatic.co.uk/UserManual/ApiRefresh.aspx

The values in the page of the user manual is just tables of suggested values, it is not a screenshot of the actual API Refresh tab in the software. The figures in the user manual are meant to be suggestions for putting into the software API Refresh tab (and API latency tab) into the settings with the same names.

By studying the API Monitor you can see if your API calls are bottlenecking - they will have very slow average durations (much bigger than the minimum durations - which could be regarded as showing the best possible speed sometimes through your internet connection when it has a good moment). Bottlenecking API calls will also constantly have concurrency greater than 1 or 2 (the last column in the API monitor, I think). So then you can decide to choose bigger numbers in the API refresh tab to have less frequent refresh intervals and hopefully see better performance in the API Monitor, because of less pressure being put upon your internet connection.

You can also reduce the sensitivity of the "roundtrip time is slow" message. By default, the message appears whenever an API call has a roundtrip duration of 750ms or greater. To change it, edit the number in the top left corner of the "API Latency" settings tab. For example, change it to 3000ms.

It is also worth making the "Exchange timeout" bigger, on the API Latency tab. By default it is 10000ms (10 seconds). This value represents the length of time that an API call has to reach the exchange, get processed by the exchange and return a response to your computer, if it does not return a response to you with 10000ms then the call is cancelled (although the exchange might still process it). Timing out is useful to kill off API calls that would otherwise get stuck if the internet grinds to a halt.

For example, consider that if you send an in-play football bet that has a normal 8 second in-play delay applied by the exhange, then a 10000ms timeout value means that you only have 2 seconds of additional internet latency before the call is timed out. Of course 2 seconds is large and your calls should transit the internet much faster than that, but if you occasionally have a very poor connection, then it is worth changing the default number from 10000ms to 20000ms to ensure that you almost never get a timed out API call during in-play. Probably not really important, but it is another aspect that is customisable by folks who want to fine tune everything.

Kind regards,
Gavin
:ugeek:
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby peleus » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:24 pm

Bumping this up. My ISP tech was actually able to make some changes and made my connection to betfair server. I think their term was "Rerouting". I'm just not sure what they meant by that.
We only live once. Image
peleus

Postby Gavin » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:21 pm

peleus wrote:Bumping this up. My ISP tech was actually able to make some changes and made my connection to betfair server. I think their term was "Rerouting". I'm just not sure what they meant by that.

Yes, sometimes there might be a problem with the route that traffic takes through the internet, for example if an intermediary router is malfunctioning. Chances are that your ISP doesn't own the problem router, so sometimes your ISP might try to specify a different route and thus avoid the problem (if you report it to them). They might also be able to report the problem to the upstream ISP that owns the problem router. Using the tracert command will identify if there is a problem with the internet route. Type it at a command prompt:
tracert api.betfair.com
Note that the final leg will always timeout because Betfair do not reply to ping/tracert requests. Look to see whether any of the intermediary routers have a problem (shown by slow response or a * meaning a timeout).

I think most users won't need to contemplate internet routes, it is only rarely the cause of slow connection problems to Betfair. I suspect that most of the time when a non UK person experiences a slow route to Betfair, the cause is simply that the traffic takes a long complicated route to Betfair through the internet (I think they may route much of the traffic via Malta, for regulatory reasons). So simply changing the settings in the Cymatic software, to refresh the data less frequently, is usually enough to solve the problems and achieve a stable connection to Betfair.

Kind regards,
Gavin
Gavin
Site Admin

API making no sense to me at all....:-)

Postby mikecaseybet » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:35 am

Hi Gavin and fellow traders....

First of all I'd like to say a huge thank you to Gavin for providing Cymatic free of charge, even if only temporarily......such benevolence is indeed a rarity methinks....

However I'm baffled by this API rate business, my system seems to be doing the exact opposite of what it's supposed to do according to the tutorial...(or far more likely I'm reading it wrong)

I'm in the UK, have a reasonably-fast dual core pc and a fast fibreoptic connection, around 55 megabits for real as measured by speedtest.net

With the default refresh levels, it tells me my roundtrip is slow at about 2000 ms, the bottom 4 'Gets' in the monitor average 2000+

Here's where I get confused. The tutorial seems to be saying I should try to make the numbers SMALLER for a faster roundtrip, but here's what I get:

Defaults: (400,1000,500,500) - Roundtrip 2000+, Bottom 4 Gets 2300+

Defaults MINUS 50% Roundtrip 2900+, Bottom 4 Gets 2900+

Defaults PLUS 50% Roundtrip 950+, Bottom 4 Gets 350-500+

Defaults PLUS 100% Roundtrip 950+, Bottom 4 Gets 350-500+ - NO REAL CHANGE WHATSOEVER

Gotta say this is all greek to me, if you can just tell me which of the above settings are best for my setup (or suggest different settings altogether) I'll be more than happy to take your word for it..... :)

Many thanks again and apologies if I've just proven myself to be your most stupid member.....
Mike
mikecaseybet

Re: API making no sense to me at all....:-)

Postby Gavin » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:12 pm

Hi Mike,

Yes, I can see why it might be a bit confusing at first.

Do not confuse the roundtrip speed with the frequency of the refresh intervals.

You want bigger refresh intervals to hopefully enable each API call to travel in an uncongested environment and therefore achieve a faster roundtrip speed.

So you must use bigger numbers in the refresh settings, which will cause the software to refresh at bigger intervals (i.e. less often). Thus by making it refresh less often, you take some pressure of the internet connection. By taking pressure off the internet connection, the actual calls are able to travel faster to Betfair and back.

Kind regards,

Gavin
Gavin
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Help / Support