Excel Interface: Matched Odds, MyBets, BSP

Ideas for new features. All suggestions are very welcome, thank you.

Excel Interface: Matched Odds, MyBets, BSP

Postby adenlark » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:09 pm

Hello Gavin

A few suggestions for Excel - feedback from yourself and the community most welcome.

I use a simple 'feedback' formula in my sheets, which displays the state of current bets, for example:
IF(AND(AR8>0,BD8<>""),"MATCHED","")
I also have other cells which provide information based on whether or not a bet has been matched. If I only place one back or lay bet per selection, this formula works fine. If I place multiple bets on a single selection, this formula is useless, as AR and AU display the average matched odds for all bets. Using BE8 may or may not work, due to the following from the User Manual:
If the bet is matched instantly in the moment that it arrives at the exchange, then the Matched Odds and Amount Matched columns will show those results. However, if the bet is matched later, the details will only be reflected in the bet summary columns (the ones to the left of the commands), not in the Matched Odds and Amount Matched columns to the right of the commands (these will remain empty).

I understand why the Matched Odds column works this way, but I don't think it's intuitive or useful in it's current setting. I suggest the following:
- Columns AL:AW remain as they are, the information is clear and useful
- Column BE is changed to show the most recent Matched Odds for that selection. When a new bet is submitted, the old value is replaced. The contents of these cells are not persistent (as is the current setting, I believe).
- Column BD to release more information, for example 'PARTIAL' for partially matched bets (unless it already does so - I haven't tested that yet!)

I think the above will be easier to use, and easier to code for - at least for novices like me anyway. For those wanting to track multiple bets on a single selection:

MyBets sheet - yes, I 'borrowed' this idea for other software! I don't use it myself, but others may wish to log their bets to a separate sheet. This may have been mentioned on the forum somewhere - props to that guy

SP and Estimated SP - another idea I've borrowed. I've seen Estimated SP and BSP released to Excel in other software, and found it a useful addition to my workbooks.

Feedback and workarounds welcome!

Cheers, adenlark
Wealth can neither be created nor destroyed. It is simply transferred from one illusion to another. - some guy on the internet
adenlark

Re: Excel Interface: Matched Odds, MyBets, BSP

Postby Gavin » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:45 am

Hi Adenlark,

Thanks for your suggestions. I think there are workarounds for most if not all of the points.
adenlark wrote:I use a simple 'feedback' formula in my sheets, which displays the state of current bets, for example:
IF(AND(AR8>0,BD8<>""),"MATCHED","")
....If I only place one back or lay bet per selection, this formula works fine. If I place multiple bets on a single selection, this formula is useless, as AR and AU display the average matched odds for all bets.

I suggest making more use of columns AM and AS (total stakes matched). When making multiple bets, you can see the total stake matched for all those bets combined, which might be what you want to know, rather than just the average odds matched.

Actually you can even track individual matches (albeit batches of new matches if several matches occur at the same time). You would need to use the Visual Basic editor to write some code. You just need to record the average matched odds (columns AL and AR) and the total stakes matched (columns AM and AS) into a separate column that you choose (for example the empty column from BJ onwards). Record this data every time the Worksheet_Change event fires, by copying those 4 columns to your designated columns BJ onwards. That way you can detect changes in the bet summary columns (AL,R,AM and AS) and compare the new values to the previous values, just before you do the copy command. If the values are different, you can do a calculation to work out what stake and at what price new matches must have occurred for the new matched average odds and total stakes values to have come about.

If you write the code in the Worksheet_Change event, you will need to include a line of code to ensure that your code only copies the data if certain columns change, so that you don't create an infinite loop - because your lines of code that copy the data would could re-entrancy (Worksheet_Change fires again when you copy the data). You would use the INTERSECT command to detect which cells changes, as shown in my post here:
VBA cell update - using the INTERSECT command

adenlark wrote:- Column BE is changed to show the most recent Matched Odds for that selection. When a new bet is submitted, the old value is replaced. The contents of these cells are not persistent (as is the current setting, I believe).

Column BE is only used to display the matched odds if the bet it matched when it is submitted (not if it gets matched later). It always shows that value for the most recent bet. If the bet was partially matched it only shows the odds of the first part. If remaining parts of the bet are matched later (not at the time when the bet was submitted), then they will not be displayed in column BE.

adenlark wrote:- Column BD to release more information, for example 'PARTIAL' for partially matched bets (unless it already does so - I haven't tested that yet!)

I believe that a partial match can already be deduced by comparing the matched amount in column BF with the stake requested in column BC. If BF < BC (and BF > 0), then it is a partial match.

adenlark wrote:For those wanting to track multiple bets on a single selection:

MyBets sheet - yes, I 'borrowed' this idea for other software! I don't use it myself, but others may wish to log their bets to a separate sheet. This may have been mentioned on the forum somewhere - props to that guy

SP and Estimated SP - another idea I've borrowed. I've seen Estimated SP and BSP released to Excel in other software, and found it a useful addition to my workbooks.

Yes those are features that would be nice to add when possible. Note that you could use Visual Basic to create code to log all your orders as they are submitted, to a new sheet that you could call "MyBets". Obviously it wouldn't get updated with new matching data, but you could at least use it to compare the total stakes in the MyBets sheet, to the total stakes matched in colums AM and AS. This would be a good way to keep track of your overall positions.

Kind regards,

Gavin
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby adenlark » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:56 pm

Hi Gavin, thanks for the detailed reply.

I figured any workaround would involve VBA, but it's not a route I want to go down at the moment. My workbook relies on knowing the book % of individual bets (and sometimes multiple individual bets on a single selection), and I can get that from my Betting Assistant version without having to add more VBA. As I find Cymatic and Betting Assistant equally good, it makes sense to stick with the one that's easier to code for (at least for a novice like me). At some point in the future I will want even more details from my sheet, and VBA will have to be involved, but I'm trying to avoid that inevitability for now.

Knowing whether or not a bet has been partially matched is useful, but not important. If the information is easily accessible, I'll make use of it in my code/formulae, but I can just as easily do without it.

Thanks for the link to the INTERSECT command, that's another thing I need to get my head around.

Cheers
adenlark
Wealth can neither be created nor destroyed. It is simply transferred from one illusion to another. - some guy on the internet
adenlark

Postby Gavin » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:25 pm

Hi Adenlark,

Thanks for your reply, yes I understand the situation, it makes sense to try to keep things simple and use less code if possible.

Kind regards,

Gavin
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Gavin » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:23 am

Hi Adenlark,

A new version has been released tonight with BSP added and lots of horse statistics now in Excel.

Version 6.25.0.0 Release notes

Further additions to the Excel data are being planned.

Kind regards,

Gavin
Gavin
Site Admin

Return to Suggestions