Streaming API

For software support - get help from Cymatic and the community

Streaming API

Postby hedgeupgreen » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:19 pm

Hi,

I was wondering if ACT supports BF streaming API, in particular with Excel interface.

Thanks,
Ian
hedgeupgreen

Re: Streaming API

Postby Gavin » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:10 am

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your question.

I am about to release a new version in the next few days, that works with the streaming API. Actually it has taken months of work to make the changes, so I am pleased to finally be testing it and almost ready to release it. The new version also fixes some bugs and has also been highly optimized so its internal workings are even faster than before.

I'll make announcements in the forum as soon as it has been released.

Kind regards,

Gavin
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Gavin » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:29 pm

Hi again,

I am pleased to announce that the new version of Cymatic has just been released and it now uses the streaming API.

You can switch back to polling at any time from the File Menu | Settings option, then on the settings window on the 'Api Refresh' you will see the option to choose polling or streaming. Streaming is chosen by default after the upgrade.

The software updates automatically when you open it.

Kind regards,

Gavin
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby callmeant » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:14 pm

Hi Gavin,

The new Cymatic version is super fast, congrats on the work you have done.

Just out of curiosity: there used to be some sort of extra charge for sending too many requests per second
to Betfair servers. I guess this is not the case now or is it?
What is the lowest value of "refresh gui - minimum interval" that still provides a reasonable
and even faster operation?

Thank you and best regards,
callmeant
callmeant

Postby Gavin » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:32 pm

Hi callmeant,

I'm glad you like the speed of the new version, a lot of planning went into that :)

That is correct, there are no charges for requesting streaming prices. Betfair' transaction charges could still apply if you submit or edit more than 1000 bets per hour, but they offset any transaction charges by looking at commission paid:
Betfair charges

The recommended value of 'Refresh GUI - Minimum Interval' depends on your PC and internet bandwidth and what you use the software for. Even if you set it to zero, the software should cope because it also has a built in override that enables it to intelligently conflate incoming messages if it detects that your PC is busy. However choosing more modest settings might make better sense depending on your needs, there is no point straining your internet connect if you are trading manually in which case the human eye and brain don't need to see prices changing in thousandths of a second.

So generally speaking the software should just cope, even if you push the settings too hard, but it might be better to choose modest settings and give your PC some breathing space rather than trying to strain the limits.

Also consider this. I don't know yet whether going mad with the settings might cause the exchange to occasionally drop the streaming connection if it thinks your internet isn't coping well enough, which would cause prices to appear to freeze until the software automatically re-establishes the streaming connection. So use modest settings if you find that you are causing that to happen.

Kind regards,

Gavin
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby callmeant » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:24 am

Hi Gavin,

thank you for your reply and the points you highlighted in your letter.

For me, I believe, the best option is to leave the settings as they are now.

Best regards,

callmeant
callmeant

Postby Derek72 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:45 am

Hi Gavin,

I'm going away for Christmas and will be relying on my mobile connection. Would increasing the streaming refresh rate from 200ms to 1000ms make a significantly reduction to Cymatic's data usage ?

Kind regards,

Derek
Derek72

Postby Gavin » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:52 am

Hi Derek,

To reduce the data usage, you must amend the Conflation setting. By default it is set to 0ms, which means every price change is sent to you from Betfair. The second two settings (Refresh GUI, Minimum and Maximum) just control how often you deal with the data but they don't change the frequency at which it is sent over the internet.

So just focus on making Conflation a much bigger number to reduce your data usage, the other two settings won't affect data usage.

Kind regards,

Gavin
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby UNKNOWNENTITY » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:02 pm

Hi,
Im having problems with the streaming, no matter what settings I use as soon as I put streaming on everything just stops, no odds move at all.
I doubt if this is my network link as I have fibre to the cabinet FTTC with 56MBps download and ive PINGed Betfair and its running at 20ms average, which isnt bad considering Im not using a VPS.
Ive tried conflation at 0 and 100 and 250 and 500 and 1000 and 10000 but nothing happens.
Ive also tried changing the GUI settings but nothing works.
Is something wrong with my software or is there another setting somewhere.?
Please help
UNKNOWNENTITY
UNKNOWNENTITY

Postby Gavin » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:02 am

Hi Unknownentity,

Is polling working OK for you, just not streaming?

Are you logging in with the minimal or standard login option?

There should be more information to help diagnose the problem if you look at the Status Log tab. A successful streaming connection will report 3 lines in the status log tab. If there is an error message there then that would be helpful to know.

Do you use any special 2-step authentication on your Betfair account - for example where they text you a one-time passcode every time you login? That system is not compatible with streaming. If so, you could either deactivate 2-step authentication by visiting your account settings on the Betfair website, or use polling in Cymatic instead of streaming.

Kind regards,

Gavin
Gavin
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Help / Support