Streaming API

For software support - get help from Cymatic and the community

Re: Streaming API

Postby UNKNOWNENTITY » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:24 pm

Hi Gavin,
My polling is working and I have complete control over it.
I am logging in, in standard and my status log doesnt have any errors.
I do not have 2 step authentication in Betfair, however there doesnt appear to be any third party applications permissions or automated betting program access ssl certificates loaded, is this correct?. Does Cymatic trader require any of these?.
I wish to experience the streaming not just the polling as this may help in my bet trading and I cannot see a reason why it doesnt work.
Just in case, I am running on an AMD A8 - 3530MX 1.9GHZ Quad core laptop with 8 gig of ram which should be fine for your software, however I can switch to my 3GHZ Hex core 16gig system if you say I need to.
Many thanks UNKNOWNENTITY
UNKNOWNENTITY

Postby Gavin » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:54 pm

Hi UNKNOWNENTITY,

That is correct, I don't believe that you need to have any special third party permissions set on your Betfair account. I don't have them set on my account. You also don't need any SSL certificates loaded into your Betfair account either because those are only need if you want an automated robot to login to your account - you don't need that because you login interactively using Cymatic.

Please switch streaming on and then have a look at the Status log tab. You should see three lines in the Status log tab telling you about it connecting and authenticating the streaming connection. You won't see those if you only have polling turned on. Do you see those three lines when you turn streaming on, or just nothing at all? It should look something like this:

2018-04-04 13:16:07.891 Streaming API - connection Id = XXX-XXXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXX, connection status = SUBSCRIBED
2018-04-04 13:16:07.891 Streaming API - connection Id = XXX-XXXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXX, connection status = AUTHENTICATED
2018-04-04 13:16:07.891 Streaming API - connection Id = XXX-XXXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXX, connection status = CONNECTED

Then you can switch back to polling afterwards.

Your first laptop is powerful enough, so there is no need to switch to the other PC. However it is good to know that you have another PC to try, in case we need to resort to loading Cymatic onto it to try to shed some light on why streaming is not working on the other PC.

Kind regards,

Gavin
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby UNKNOWNENTITY » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:28 pm

Hi Gavin,
Yes this is what I see in my status log when I turn on streaming:
2018-04-04 21:00:31.563 Streaming API - connection Id = 002-040418200023-255797, connection status = SUBSCRIBED
2018-04-04 21:00:31.563 Streaming API - connection Id = 002-040418200023-255797, connection status = AUTHENTICATED
2018-04-04 21:00:31.563 Streaming API - connection Id = 002-040418200023-255797, connection status = CONNECTED
2018-04-04 20:57:58.114 UNKNOWNENTITY logged in.
This has been copied/pasted directly from the status log.
This seems right to me as it is saying that its subscribed, authenticated and connected so the problem must be somewhere else.
What about uninstalling the software and reinstalling would that help, or is there an update or patch that Ive missed maybe?.
Has anyone else had this problem that you know of, how did it get solved, or did it get solved?.
UNKNOWNENTITY
UNKNOWNENTITY

Postby Gavin » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:02 pm

Hi UNKNOWNENTITY,

Thanks for confirming those details. Yes, that indicates that you have successfully connected to the streaming API, so this is rather puzzling. I can confirm that no-one else has reported this same problem.

1. What markets did you try to look at with streaming?

2. Were they markets that don't have frequent updates, for example really quiet markets? Have you tried using streaming on a busy market like horse racing or something in-play? I just need to rule out the possibility that you looked at a market that is currently not changing much anyway.

3. Do the initial prices load when you select a market, then no updates occur, or do you just see the list of selections but never any prices at all?

4. When using streaming, do you see any evidence of streaming messages in the API Monitor tab? (Please note that the API monitor will only be populated with statistics if you haven't turned it off using the checkbox for it in the API Latency tab of the main settings window - by default it is turned on though).

5. Are you using a VPN, proxy, corporate network, student halls of residence internet connection, library etc, i.e. any form of intermediary controlled method of connecting to the internet?

6. Which version of Windows are you using? Please also confirm that you are using an ordinary Windows computer (i.e. not a PC with a different operating system with a Windows emulation mode / virtual PC)?

7. Which country are you connecting from?

8. Is there anything else that you think might be a non-standard environment?

Sorry for all the questions.

Kind regards,

Gavin
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby UNKNOWNENTITY » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:27 am

Hi Gavin,
I am looking at horse racing just before the off and in play when the prices move the fastest, however I have looked at football aswell which is a little slower but it makes no difference.
The Initial prices do load on every market so I can see prices, they just dont move.
When I turn on streaming my list market book count stops dead in API monitoring, when I turn it off again I get new boxes saying marketchangemessage - conflated 1 and marketchangemessage 2, when I turn streaming off again I get an extra box that says keep alive 2. Im also getting an error message about betfair prices not being refreshed in the last 5000 milliseconds but I think thats because I turned on the monitor whether prices have stopped refreshing, and they have stopped refreshing.
I am not using a VPN, proxy, corporate network, student halls of residence internet connection, library or any form of intermediary controlled method of connecting to the internet, HOWEVER my connection is FTTC (fibre to the cabinet) via Utility Warehouse in Kent, UK. I am not completely up to date on the specific technical information regarding their networks but I have checked my router and there is no proxy or port forwarding or firewall or anything that may stop information from getting to me that I can see.( my knowledge is limited as Im getting old and have forgotten most of the stuff I learned during my Ciscos and Microsoft training, but it was many, many moons ago ).
I am using 64bit Windows 7 service pack 1 that is regularly updated. Its not emulated or virtual in any way, its a real and genuine Windows 7 directly loaded onto my PC.
I am connecting from Kent, England, UK.
I checked my Nortons firewall and its allowing all communications for Cymatic, but just in case I turned of Nortons completely and tried to stream and it still didnt work.
I try to keep everything as standard as possible, mainly because its easier like that, and I cant think of anything else that might be causing this.
UNKNOWNENTITY
UNKNOWNENTITY

Postby Gavin » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:13 am

Hi UNKNOWNENTITY,

Thanks for your comprehensive reply.

ListMarketBook - is the call used by polling to get prices and bet changes. So this will stop appearing in the API Monitor if you are using streaming instead of polling.
MarketChangeMessage - is the equivalent call used by streaming to get price changes
OrderChangeMessage - is the equivalent call used by streaming to get your bet changes

MarketChangeMessage_Conflated - is records the total number of marketChangeMessages that were conflated by the exchange. Message get conflated by the exchange either because you set conflation in Cymatic (a number bigger than 0), or because they detected that your connection was busy when they tried to send a message.

MarketChangeMessage_ConflatedLocally - records the total number of marketChangeMessages that were conflated in your PC, rather than the exhange. This happens either because you set the max and min refresh interval to numbers bigger than zero, or because the software automatically detected that it was busy processing a previous marketChangeMessage and so needed to conflate the incoming message.

So, if streaming is working normally, you should get a flood of marketChangeMessages arriving every second during horse racing just before the off, as the prices change regularly. An occasional one will get conflated.

So my questions are these:

1. Do you see a such flow of marketChangeMessages when using streaming, or just the initial one that occurs when the market is opened?

2. Please confirm what settings you have chosen for the 3 numbers in the streaming settings (conflation, minimum and maximum intervals). I am wondering if the settings there might be inhibiting the processing of the messages. If you choose a very low number in the conflation box, then you will get a vast flow of messages arriving from the exchange and that should be reflected by the total count of marketChangeMessages rapidly incrementing in the API Monitor.

Kind regards,

Gavin
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby UNKNOWNENTITY » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:20 pm

Hi Gavin,
No I dont see a flow of marketchangemessages, the only time this changes is if I change races and then it ticks up by 1 for each market that I load.
I have used multiple settings for conflation, min and max gui at different times to test it, I started with 0 on conflation and min gui, and 500 on max, then slowly uped them by increments of 10 and then 100. So 0 then 10 then 20 and so on, up to 100 and then added 100 and so on. None of the settings worked.
It looks to me as if the streaming is only allowing 1 packet of information ( the odds at that specific millisecond ) to get to my PC when I change markets and then stopping, but wouldnt it just not send any information, why 1 packet of info and then stop, and wheres the error messages, the only error message Ive seen is to give me a timeout of 5000 milliseconds that the data has stopped coming.
Confused
UNKNOWNENTITY
UNKNOWNENTITY

Postby Gavin » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:08 pm

Hi UNKNOWNENTITY,

We seem to have eliminated connection errors, bandwidth issues, login issues, account settings, etc. so I am now just starting to wonder if there is something being done at the exchange to limit or block your account's access to streaming data. I know that the exchange will eventually block data or restrict it (or possibly send mangled delayed data) if they decide that an account appears to just be using data but doesn't eventually sends real money bets. Can you please confirm whether you have sent real money bets recently, or has everything been done only in demo mode for a while?

I know that polling prices will look different when the exchange restricts an account, but I don't know it looks like when they restrict streaming for an account (perhaps it manifests as what you are experiencing).

Do the polling prices appear to be correct when you compare them to the website prices?

If there is a restriction on your account then it will be necessary to contact the Betfair helpdesk to discuss removing it.

Kind regards,

Gavin
Gavin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General Help / Support