Advanced Charts Duration

Using technical analysis (Bollinger, trend lines, etc) to trade sport? Discuss it here

Advanced Charts Duration

Postby ReepiBG » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:45 pm

Hi,

I am new to ACT and currently enjoying my trial.

I am fascinated by the wealth of Advanced Charting possibilities.

I need an advice about how to get a longer duration (currently 30 min max, despite being online for many hours) of any advanced charts in my Permanently Managed markets or in any markets in My Markets lists.

Thank you!
ReepiBG

Re: Advanced Charts Duration

Postby Gavin » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:38 pm

Hi ReepiBG,

Thanks for your message, I am glad to hear you are enjoying the trial.

That is right, the data for the advanced charts is recorded from the time you open the market (or add it permanently to your managed markets for that login session). So there didn't seem to be any likely need for very long durations when deciding how to program the advanced charts and thus 30 minute is the maximum you can choose.

Perhaps I should have included some even larger time periods (such as 1 hour, or 4 hours), but this would have increased the amount of RAM memory and other PC system resources needed so I decided to restrict the number of different intervals to what I thought would be popular and useful. Generally I felt that longer time periods would not be useful, either because users would not be online for that long each day, or that the relevant period of interesting prices wouldn't extend that far back anyway (for example horse racing which tends to not be that interesting too far before the scheduled start time).

Have you considered zooming out more? That way all the data that you have been recording will be visible. A maximum of 100 periods are stored in the advanced charts. So you could potentially see 100 x 30 minute intervals (for example 100 candles), which is enough to collate 50 hours of data, assuming you've had the software open for that long continuously.

Kind regards,

Gavin
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby ReepiBG » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:49 am

Hi Gavin,

Thank you for your comments!

Unfortunately zooming out did not help with yesterday's football matches (Tottenham vs Chelsea and Real Madrid vs Sevilla).

I am still an early learner of technical analysis and advanced charting and cannot give specific recommendations regarding the duration of ACT advanced charts. However, it seems to me a few options for longer intervals might be useful with any attempts at swing trading.

Thanks again and keep up your excellent work!

ReepiBG
ReepiBG

Postby Gavin » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:46 pm

Hi ReepiBG,

OK thanks for the feedback, I'll bear that in mind and consider it again carefully in any future update to the charting functionality.

Kind regards,

Gavin
Gavin
Site Admin

Return to Technical Analysis