Problem connecting to excel

For software support - get help from Cymatic and the community

Problem connecting to excel

Postby tisgus » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:53 am

Hi all

I recently downloaded the LayTheField3 spreadsheet and cannot connect it to excel.
When I try, I get the following:-
" Unable to cast COM object of type 'System.__ComObject' to interface type 'Microsoft Office Interop Excel Application'. This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COMcomponent for the interface with IID '{000208D5-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}' failed due to the following error: Interface not registered (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040155)

I have saved the spreadsheet to my desktop and have not changed any settings.

Must let you know I am not 'puter literate at all, and any help is greatly appreciated.

Gary
tisgus

Re: Problem connecting to excel

Postby shmicky » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:49 pm

Hey,

Have you followed the video on "lay the field"

Mike
shmicky

Postby Gavin » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:34 pm

Hi Gary,

I would guess that either Excel is not installed on your computer, or it needs to be repaired.

Is Excel installed on your computer?

If so,

Which version of Excel is installed on your computer?

Have you tried doing a repair of Microsoft Excel (or Microsoft Office).

Kind regards,

Gavin
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby tisgus » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:12 am

Yes, I have excel 2016 installed. I am an office 365 subscriber
All of my other excel books work fine, so I don't think it needs to be repaired
Should have put all that in my original post, sorry

Gary
tisgus

Postby Gavin » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:11 pm

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your message. Other workbooks working is not quite the same thing, because Cymatic connects to Excel using a technique called COM interoperability, which requires certain dll files (link libraries) to be installed on your computer. These libraries are not required for other workbooks that you open normally in Excel, only for one's being opened by Cymatic when it is controlling Excel.

The error message indicates that those dll files are either missing or not properly recognised by Windows as being installed. They should be automatically included with all installations of Excel. So you must have Excel physically installed on your computer's hard drive. If you are using Excel 360 as an online service only then the files will not reside on your computer. If I understand correctly you do indeed have Excel installed on your PC?

In which case I still suggest that you try to repair Office/Excel in order to try to correct the problem of the missing Interop dll files.

Please also ensure that you do not open the Cymatic spreadsheet independently of Cymatic. In other words, you should use Cymatic to open Excel for you and connect to the workbooks, otherwise if they are also opened Excel beforehand then they will be treated as read only in Cymatic and thus cause operational issues.

Kind regards,

Gavin
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby tisgus » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:37 pm

Hi Gavin

Thank you for your reply. After 2 uninstalls and re-installs of office 365 I think the problem is now resolved.
I was using the 64-bit version. On the second install I forgot to change the download, and installed the 32-bit version instead, and hey presto it seems to be working fine now.
Will use it at small stakes first to check functionality, but, so far so good

Many thanks again for your assistance

Gary
tisgus

Postby Gavin » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:10 pm

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your message. That is interesting, I must confess that I am not entirely certain of why the 32 bit versus 64 bit aspect would make a difference, but that is helpful to know now, so thank you for the information.

I'm glad it is all up and running now. Happy trading!

Kind regards,

Gavin
Gavin
Site Admin

Return to General Help / Support